WH2000 .hlp files/ Master .cnt 'specific' questions

Subject: WH2000 .hlp files/ Master .cnt 'specific' questions
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: Winhelp List <WINHLP-L -at- ADMIN -dot- HUMBERC -dot- ON -dot- CA>, Tech Writers List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, rhc Listmanager <listmanager -at- robohelp-forums -dot- helpcommunity -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 16:12:51 -0600

"I've done my research and I have the following specific questions that
I'm having trouble interpreting. This list is a wonderful resource and
I'm trying to tap into its wealth of knowledge." [<sound familiar?>
<grin>]

I have a copy of some old instructions (undated, of course) that I'm
trying to use but I have questions about what they say to do:

1) They say that in order to implement a master.cnt for my 13 .hlp
files, I have to go into each project's .hpj file with a text editor and
insert the line "CNT=master.cnt" under the [OPTIONS] section. Isn't this
the same as going into RH2000, selecting Project Settings, Contents,
clicking Master CNT and setting the Project CNT to master.cnt?

2) The instructions then say to compile each help project. Do I have to
create a directory, or designate an existing directory, where all these
hlp files are going to be compiled. If yes, see #3, else #4.

3) If I compile all 13 .hlp files to c:\program files\robohelp
office\robohelp\projects\master, wouldn't I distribute all of the .hlp
files and master.cnt file in this directory. This directory would be my
'release' directory. Per the question last week, though, I wouldn't need
to sent the master.hlp file.

4) I have set up a master .cnt project. Is this easier to work with (add
future .hlp files) than creating a master.cnt file through notepad. As
aforementioned, there are 13 now but that will grow, over time, to 30
something.

5) While I am asking, down the road I will be working with a much larger
project with 100s (probably) of .hlp files to be pulled into a modular
hlp file. I planned to use WH2000 and .hlp files. The applications I'll
be documenting have *nothing* to do with the web. For that reason, I
have stated to my manager that we didn't need to use compiled HTML help.
There's no browser interface whatsoever so please reinforce that .hlp
files will be just fine. If not, why would it be better to require a
browser if the software this company creates has nothing to do with the
internet.

Thoughts appreciated. Lori McDermeit, are you out there? You helped a
lot with my last post on this issue in July.

Paul