Re: RE. Readability studies on fonts--serif and sans serif

Subject: Re: RE. Readability studies on fonts--serif and sans serif
From: "Rachael Lininger" <rachael -at- dd-b -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 20:22:56 -0600 (CST)

Today, Geoff Hart said, among other things:

> So many other factors influence
> legibility that a generalisation such as choosing sans serif is meaningless
> and misleading. If you want the gory details, have a look at Karen
> Schriver's summary of typographic issues in "Dynamics in Document Design"
> (Wiley, 1997).

I'll have to look that up. As a general reference on typography, I'd
like to recommend Robert Bingham's _The Elements of Typographic
Design._ He recommends knowing the rules well enough to break them
wisely and beautifully, and that seems to me an excellent place to
start.

Rachael

--
Rachael Lininger | "Ah, why should anyone be anxious for walls and a roof
rachael@ | When you have such hospitable pigeon-holes?"