RE: converting graphics

Subject: RE: converting graphics
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 13:33:53 -0500

Illustrator is a vector package. Thus, the real original exists as an
illustrator file.

JPEG was a conversion. JPEG is lossy. Try exporting from Illustrator to GIF
for a non-lossy solution. I'm not sure what advantage BMP has over GIF . . .
do you need the extra colors BMP supports (24-bit versus 8-bit)? Word will
handle a GIF just fine.

What format did you ask your artist to deliver?

When you convert a vector image to bitmap such jaggies usually occur. Have
you considered creating the logo in two formats: one for print and one for
online? GIF and Illustrator, for example?

Using any anti-aliasing feature during the conversion should help. After the
conversion, though, I believe you are stuck with editing the bitmap as a
source. Go back to the vector image and see if you can tweak the export any.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com