Re: How does one write a user's guide without users?

Subject: Re: How does one write a user's guide without users?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 21:00:39 -0800 (PST)

> I have written a rough draft of a user's guide for small start-up company
> that I work for which was "supposed to be" using the software internally.
> However, of course, it hasn't really been used on a steady basis.
> Unfortunately, the company recently went through some changes. The
> software is now being targeted to an outside audience, though I have no
> idea who the intended is to be. How does on write a user's guide without
> users? Any advice, comments, suggestions?

There are three solutions to this dilemma:

1) You know that Jim Varney guy (knowwhatImean, Vern?) who did all the Earnest
movies? He is your user.

2) Place a gun in your mouth and blow your brains out. That is much less
painful than listening to the advice of "end user experts".

3) Just publish the thing as is and sort it out later. Someone will undoubtly
bitch about the manual and then you'll know who your user is.

Incidentally, Jim Varney just died a few weeks ago, which is too bad. He was a
pretty funny guy. I'll bet he knew his users pretty well.

Andrew Plato

ATTENTION: The author of this message not responsible for premature death due
to failed end-user analysis. No technical writers were harmed in the writing of
this message. Although I can't speak for the READING of this message. Your
mileage may vary. And if you think that you've found a gentle sound, where love
breaks down, its alright.
http://im.yahoo.com