Re: IP addresses/domain names at the end of a sentence

Subject: Re: IP addresses/domain names at the end of a sentence
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "Jennifer Laiks" <jlaiks -at- prioritycall -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:42:39 -0500

On 3/1/00 10:48 AM, Jennifer Laiks (jlaiks -at- prioritycall -dot- com) wrote:

>I want to find out how people handle IP addresses and domain names at the
>end of a sentence. We put the domain name and IP address in a different
>font. But will the period at the end of the sentence confuse the reader?
>Will they think it's part of the information? For example:
>.. , the default domain is usually xyz.com.
>.. determine that its IP address is 132.147.0.190.

Is your concern specifically for free-standing IP addresses or domain
names? I can make a suggestion for when the information in the text is a
complete URL:

For technical support, see our website at
http://support.this.example.com.

In this case, RFC 1738 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html> (in
particular, the appendix "Recommendations for URLs in Context") says to
use angle brackets to offset the URL:

For technical support, see our website at
<http://support.this.example.com>.

For the specific examples you mention, with plain-old addresses or domain
names that aren't part of any URL, I'd try the angle brackets to see if
they work, or use quotation marks as others have suggested.

Hope this helps,
----->Mike

P.S. I saw an interesting paper discussing this subject with a good
bibliography... see
<http://www.csc.twu.ca/rsutc/cite/CitatationsOfInternet.html> if you're
interested.

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman