RE: GUI Rule on Elipses

Subject: RE: GUI Rule on Elipses
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 08:58:05 -0500

I agree, we are discussing two different things in this thread.
One is a control labeled with an 'ellipsis alone' and nothing else.
The other is a control with a meaningful label followed by an ellipsis.
The 'ellipsis alone' does not seem to be discussed in standards documents.
Since it is too cryptic to be good design, why discuss it?
(I have seen the 'ellipsis alone' used on a button that was designed to
display a list of definitions for possible entries in a field. That button
has since disappeared from our GUI.)

Jim Shaeffer
jims -at- spsi -dot- com

<snip>It seems that the MS UI design guidelines are now in a book called
_The
Windows User Experience_ which has about 2 pages on the ellipsis at the
following url:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/isapi/msdnlib.idc?theURL=/library/books/winguide/c
h14d.htm
</snip>

However, there is no information about using the ellipsis on a button or
control, which I believe was the original question. I, too, have seen it on
an application, although I can't remember which.