Re: GUI Rule on Elipses

Subject: Re: GUI Rule on Elipses
From: Michael Tsai <mjt -at- sover -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:43:33 -0500

On 2/29/00 at 12:01 PM EST, Duerfeldt, Mark <MarkDuerfeldt -at- interim -dot- com>
wrote:

> It's my understanding that if a menu option takes you to another
> dialog box, that option must be followed by an elipsis (...). What is
> the standard if the menu option takes you to a window (as opposed to a
> dialog)? No elipsis?
According to Apple's guidelines, the ellipsis should be used when the
menu command requires more information from the user. Generally,
commands that lead to dialogs will use the ellipsis and ones leading to
windows will not.

--Michael