Is indenting subheadings and subtext current practice? Is it useful?

Subject: Is indenting subheadings and subtext current practice? Is it useful?
From: Jennifer Laiks <jlaiks -at- prioritycall -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:24:21 -0500

Currently, our larger user manuals have five levels of headers, and along
with them five levels of text, bullets, and lists. Each sub-level is
indented more than the level above it. Of course, indentation at five
levels forces us to use a great number of paragraph types (in FrameMaker).

We were wondering if most people indent different levels of text? Is it
more current to just use different sizes of headers? Has anyone seen
articles/statistics on what degree of indentation makes text clearer for
readers?

Thanks for any help,
Jennifer