use of word: "programmatic"

Subject: use of word: "programmatic"
From: Frank Kronberg <frank -at- kronberg -dot- com>
To: TechWriter List recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:47:49 -0800

Hello

I want a word to identify the following process--

To create API documentation:

1) I am greping through C++ source code header files,
extracting all method/function prototypes,
as well as typedefs and enums.

2) I am collecting all of these data in a
relational database, along with my hand-written
descriptions and notes (also in RDB)

3) From the RDB, I create output with
specific formatting conventions and I serve
this output as PDF files and HTML files which
are accessed by a variety of users' browsers.

My question to all of you good people <grin>:

May I call my approach, a "programmatic" approach to
the development of the the API documentation?

I want to use a word like "automatic" to distinguish my
approach from "manual" development (typing into a file, etc).

Any suggestions or feedback or opinions are appreciated!

thanks,

frank kronberg

BTW, here are a couple definitions of "programmatic":

Following an overall plan or schedule: a step-by-step,
programmatic approach to problem solving.

www.dictionary.com

advocating or adhering to a specific aim or policy

www.wordsmyth.net