RE: Question for WinHlp Developers

Subject: RE: Question for WinHlp Developers
From: "Karen Carruthers" <kcarruthers -at- exactis -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:25:18 -0700

I've used See Also at the end of topics to indicate additional, related
topics. IMHO, I wouldn't use More and See Also it's confusing to the user
and redundant. If the topic has additional information you should either
include it in the topic (and provide scrolling) or break it down into
smaller "chunks" of information. I would vote the latter.

As for related topics, if they have relevance to the current topic and
important enough to be considered linked to the main topic, then it doesn't
matter if they are directly related or not. They are related and should be
included in a See Also listing. One caution, avoid putting every topic that
could possibly (even at a stretch) be related in the See Also list. It's
easier for users to find what they are looking for if the topics are grouped
logically instead of having to scroll through a list of every possible
topic.

That's just my opinion...
Karen

<<I'm in the process of developing several online help systems and I was
wondering about the use of "See Also" and "More" at the end of each topic.
Does anyone ever used both at the end of one topic? As in, "More" referring
to more topics directly related to the current topice, vs. "See Also"
referring to topics that have relevence to the current topic but not
necessarily directly related.>>

Karen Carruthers
Senior Technical Writer, Infobeat
phone: 303-942-4709