Software on eBay

Subject: Software on eBay
From: Jeyen Chevenga Barham-Kaiel <jeyen -at- bigfoot -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 08:53:18 -0800

I buy and sell software on eBay all the time with no problems. For licensed software, I make sure that the license is transferable to the buyer. In my experience, most retail versions of software can be sold or transferred, as long as the seller agrees not to keep the software.

Many software sellers are selling brand new copies that have never before been registered, so the license is fully usable by the buyer.

If you're concerned about actually receiving the merchandise, eBay offers online escrow. That way, the seller doesn't get the money until you confirm that you've received the product and that it's what you ordered. The seller has to agree to using the escrow service, of course, and there's a fee for using it. But if you're paying several hundred dollars, escrow is a great way to protect your money. See http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?iescrowlogin&type=initial for more info. And you should contact the RoboHelp seller to see if they're willing to use escrow.

You should also check the item description to confirm that the software isn't an educational version or a Not For Resale version.

I looked at the auction in question. The seller does not say whether the product is registerable, or what exactly "Special Edition" means. Also, the seller only has a feedback rating of 2, so they haven't bought or sold much stuff on eBay. I'd look for some guarantees, like escrow, before buying this software.