Re: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for Contractor with no experience)

Subject: Re: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for Contractor with no experience)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:12:35 -0600

Harry Bacheler wrote:

> 1) In answer to your question about why do we contract??
>
> Freedom to say "I don't wanna do that type of work", and give notice, and
> leave

Do you mean I'm really an indentured servant and I didn't realize it? Damn. I
guess I should have read all those papers I signed!

> Freedom to determine paycheck, bennies, etc.

Well, I have as much "freedom" there as you do -- I can ask for the pay and
benefits I want and if I don't get them, I can go someplace else.

> Freedom to try new things

Again, I have that freedom too -- either I can find someone to pay me to do it,
or I can do it on my own. Same as you. :-)

I'm not knocking contractors. I've tried it, and it's not for me, but that
doesn't make it a Bad Thing.

Tracy
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc