RE: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for Contractor with no experience)

Subject: RE: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for Contractor with no experience)
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Justin Cascio" <justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:11:43 -0500

1) In answer to your question about why do we contract??

Freedom
Freedom from corporate politics
Freedom to say "I don't wanna do that type of work", and give notice, and
leave
Freedom to set own hours (within reason, and negotiations
Freedom to 'fail'
Freedom to determine paycheck, bennies, etc.
Freedom to try new things

Freedom

2) W-2'ing it means that you are an employee,

3) W-2'ing it also means you have to:
a) go through the personnel department, and all of their shenanigans,
b) check off the "right" boxes of 104 boxes, etc.

By the way, if you check off any of the "wrong" boxes in the 104,
you don't make the grade to get hired.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion
of this email are mine and mine alone. They are not the
thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions of any past, present, or
future employers, or any group that I might belong to."