Re: Backward(s), toward(s), forward(s)

Subject: Re: Backward(s), toward(s), forward(s)
From: "Nickell Traduction" <nickelltrad -at- autoroute -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:33:35 -0500

It's quite possible it's just a dialect thing. Fowler's does accept both.
I just go by what is considered acceptable by the majority of books. About
eight years ago, I picked certain grammar points and went through about
recognized 30 style and grammar books from Canada, the USA and Britain. I
chose what the majority use and stick to that, so when I get a client coming
back, disagreeing about something I put, even though both are correct, I can
send pages from five or more style books instead of just one.

Granted, majority rule is not always correct. More people than not say and
write "good" when they mean "well", at least in North America, but that does
not make it right. For me, though, when it comes to style and grammar, even
though there are sometimes many ways to do something, I prefer to stick to
what the majority of the "experts" recommend. However, when I revise
others, for the mostpart, if I see they do something differently, but it's
still correct (unless I feel that they are using a way that is correct, but
not as known - then I'll suggest another way), I don't change it.

Traci