RE: Advice for beginner

Subject: RE: Advice for beginner
From: Neysa Narena <NNarena -at- SystemAutomation -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:01:09 -0500

I suggest looking into joining associations that are in those fields of
expertise to learn the ropes. American Medical Writers Assn is an
association for medical/health writing and editing, (301) 493-0003. Members
receive a newsletter, journal, job bank, conventions, classes, etc. It's a
good way to see what's out there. Another organization, the American
Psychological Association, (202) 336-5500, hires free-lance editors after
they've passed their test. Applicants should have mastered the APA style
guide before attempting the test, however. Working with APA would be another
way to get your foot in the door in the psych field. There's also an assn
for biology writers/editors, but the name escapes me at present. They also
offer many benefits, including classes and credentialing. AMWA would know
how to contact them.

Neysa Narena