RE: Advice for beginner

Subject: RE: Advice for beginner
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:38:28 -0700

Kimberly writes:

> It's my understanding that the majority of the tech writing jobs are in
> the computer industry. The thought of learning computer programming, etc.
> holds ZERO interest for me. Some other areas I've read tech writers work
> in do appeal to me, such as - psychology, psychiatry, anthropology, and
> linguistics. I also think I would like process writing.

Well, much of computer-related writing doesn't get close to the actual
programming. Some folks here document software, but a large number simply
write user documentation--how to use applications, not how to program
applications. Others document how to install and use hardware--printers,
scanner, modems. Still others document manufacturing processes or
biotechnology. So you don't have to know anything about programming
computers. Hpwever, it CAN improve your job prospects considerably.

You may want to expose yourself a little more to the field before you decide
on what areas you want to focus. Ten years ago, I would've been the last
person to suggest I would be working in this field. Now, I'm an unrepentant
techno-dweeb. (Whoops, gotta tape my glasses again. And where'd those
Skittles go?)

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
INT'L.com Design & Development
billdb -at- intl -dot- com
"If I go to sleep, the clowns will eat me."