Re: Advice for beginner

Subject: Re: Advice for beginner
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Kimberly -dot- Baxter -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com, Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:51:54 -0800 (PST)

> I'm new to this list. I'm just beginning to learn tech writing (read
> several books, taking on-line class) and this is my concern: It's my
> understanding that the majority of the tech writing jobs are in the computer
> industry. The thought of learning computer programming, etc. holds ZERO
> interest for me.

Then most (not all) tech writing positions will (or should) have ZERO interest
in hiring you. If you are unwilling to learn the technologies then you should
not be documenting them.

> Some other areas I've read tech writers work in do appeal to me, such as -
> psychology, psychiatry, anthropology, and linguistics. I also think I would
> like process writing.

The majority of (decent paying) tech comm positions are in the computer and
technology industries. As such, these writers never deal with these issues.
However, I am sure somebody will tell you how there is some deep psychological
aspect to writing user docs. In an esoteric and theoretical sense there may be
some truth to that, but on a daily basis, tech comm is mostly just grinding out
text.

Andrew Plato
http://im.yahoo.com