RE: Chunking information (Was: multiple TWs for a project)

Subject: RE: Chunking information (Was: multiple TWs for a project)
From: SusanP <susanp -at- astound -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:50:51 -0500

"Chunking" is also a term used in psychology and Information Mapping. The
principles are the same throughout. The human brain can only absorb 7
plus/minus two new ideas/concepts/steps at a time. Therefore, Information
Mapping recommends that procedures be "chunked" into 5-9 steps maximum.

I had one procedure which was well over 50 steps from start to finish, but
when you broke it down into "Installing", "Configuring the DIP Switches",
etc. there were several sub-procedures to accomplish a certain task. It made
it easier for the user to understand what they were doing and why.

Susan