Re: Can a Technical Writer be a Web Designer

Subject: Re: Can a Technical Writer be a Web Designer
From: iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk (Iain Harrison)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:52 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> What skills might
> a technical writer possess that would enable them to be considered for
> a web position?

A preference for long-winded, flashy graphic animations over good,
informative and clear layout?

An ability to code links to databases rather than write good copy?

> What skills might a technical writer need to acquire
> before being considered for a web position?

You will have guessed that I'm a little cynical about this at present, but
my hope is that the public will soon start to show a preference for web
sites that give them the information they want in an attractive, but not
over-blown way, without the need to download browser plugins and the delay
before the animation downloads and runs.

This is my hope, anyway, because I think that technical writers have a lot
to offer the web, which is currently over-dominated by two groups: the
programmers and the advertising agency graphic artists.

--

Iain

iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk
iainh -at- cix -dot- co -dot- uk