RE: ISO/IEC 18019 User Documentation Standard - Call for reviewer s

Subject: RE: ISO/IEC 18019 User Documentation Standard - Call for reviewer s
From: Daniel Dresner <daniel -dot- dresner -at- ncc -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:20:24 -0000

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your valuable comments. You raise important points. I am happy to
say that there are active Japanese members of the ISO working group (as well
as representation contrasting culture such as the US and Sweden). The
cultural issues should be well scrutinised. (Incidentally, the Australian
representative is actually a Jewish Scotsman!)

In terms of codification of processes in the development literature, this is
so but part of the hidden agenda for the guidelines has been to help
maintain or raise the profile of the technical writers who are still subject
to all the 'process' heartache that we empathise with on TECHWR-L.

Compliance is an interesting point. These *are* guidelines and it may be
appropriate to state that they are followed in an organisation. Compliance
is only associated with standards (although ISO still applies the term
standard to technical reports as well). It is not intended to be an audited
standard such as ISO 9000. The document is intended as a resource for best
practices.

I hope this clarifies the definition a bit.

Best regards

Danny Dresner
Head of Standards
The National Computing Centre Ltd.
Oxford Road
Manchester M1 7ED, UK
daniel -dot- dresner -at- ncc -dot- co -dot- uk
Tel: +44 (0)161 228 6333
Direct Line: +44 (0)161 242 2352
Fax: +44 (0)161 242 2499
Please visit us at http://www.ncc.co.uk
ISO 9001/TickIT Certificate: 928858A

'If it's easy . . . you are not doing it right.'

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains proprietary information, some or all of
which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only.
If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail,
please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the
intended recipient you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or
rely on this e-mail.

some of which may be legally privileged. It is for the
intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission
error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the
author by replying to it. If you are not the intended