Deep Passion Thoughts

Subject: Deep Passion Thoughts
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:27:42 -0800 (PST)

> I consider myself a really good, passionate writer --
> But, the questions are:
> How would you manage someone like "Me ;-)"
> Have you been in similar situation as "Me ;-)". If so, what did you do
> about it? Or did you do anything at all?

"Good" and "passionate" are not synonymous.

Passion is like plutonium. Very deadly but very useful. Just think how a little
plutonium has reshaped human civilization? Just think of how many people it can
kill?

The best way to manage a passionate person is to give them a stick of butter
and a video camera and just sit back and wait for the fun to happen. I speaking
metaphorically of course.

Seriously, over-zelotism in tech writing is dangerous because tech comm is not
art form and therefore not a media for self-expression. Passion for your
perception of the RIGHT WAY is often viewed as being stubborn, uncooperative,
and a royal pain in the neck. Results matter more than perfection in tech comm.

If you need to express your vision of the universe, write a book, paint a
picture. Use a media where self-expression is appropriate.

I know what the Zen masters would say in this situation: "the stiff reed breaks
in the wind." The unwavering writer acting on his/her passion for purity is
likely to be seen as more trouble than he/she is worth. Language is a fluid and
imperfect science. To assume one person holds the true answer for a given
situation is awfully presumptuous.

This isn't brain surgery and the universe won't crumble if you misuse a
pronoun.

On the other hand, I have butter on my thumb, so what do I know.

Preening Profound Pontificating Pointless
Andrew Plato
Get a stiff chuckle at: http://members.home.com/aplato

http://im.yahoo.com