RE: Level of writing

Subject: RE: Level of writing
From: Chris Hamilton <cah_91 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:56:16 -0800 (PST)

I worked for a guy with an academic background once
and we had a long discussion about approaches to the
documentation. He was uncomfortable with the approach
I took (second person, active voice, etc.), which I
thought was silly.

But he said that in the academic world, third person
and passive voice are important because they convey a
detachment that shows objectivity. I'm no expert in
academic writing, but I also have no reason to doubt
him.

I can disagree with him all I want, but if writing
what I think is correct is going to get my work
ignored or taken less than seriously, what good have I
done?

Chris Hamilton
Tampa, FL
cah_91 -at- yahoo -dot- com