RE: diagram callouts

Subject: RE: diagram callouts
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "'Christi'" <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:34:06 -0500

On Thursday, February 10, 2000 12:13 PM, Christi
[SMTP:christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an issue, and I'm just not sure of the best way to resolve it.
My
> original hunch is contrary to one our tech support persons, so I come to
you
> to get your opinion.
> I have a diagram that shows how to connect our instrument to a panel at
> the customer's site. There are six connections in various places; they
> happen to fall in two columns of three connections. I'm trying to
determine
> the best way to order the reference letters. I'll try to show you
visually
> with text.

Geoff Hart recommends using numbers to label the connectors. That might be
a good approach. Here are two suggestions.

Use colors.
Step 1. Connect the red cable to the connector with the red dot.
Step 2. Connect the blue cable to ....

Assuming you can come up with six easily distinguishable colors, it should
be a snap. Color blind people could have a problem. That is something to
consider.

Use letters and numbers. Use numbers for the rows and letters for the
columns. Then you would have connectors. 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B.

If you must choose one of your examples, I would go with your first
example. I think I would find hunting for the letter very aggravating,
especially if the markings were at all hard to see.