Re: Is Contents Singular or Plural?

Subject: Re: Is Contents Singular or Plural?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Wollenberger, David" <David -dot- Wollenberger -at- sterling -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 12:08:06 -0800

My best stab is plural. Here is why:

The contents is the subject of the sentence. of the table entry is a
prepositional phrase that is, in effect, modifying the noun phrase (I know
it isn't in the grammar sense but work with the general idea). Thus, if you
throw away the prepositional phrase, you are left with a plural noun that
the verb must agree with.

If I am wrong, I am dying to be educated!

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com