Re[2]: Generally, what do you think of generally?

Subject: Re[2]: Generally, what do you think of generally?
From: Harry Hager <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, aackerson -at- logicon -dot- com
Date: 09 Feb 2000 09:12:36 -0600

Al,

Okay. You've convinced me.

I'll kill all abverbs.

I'll never again use an abverb in technical writing.

I'll never tell the reader the software lets them rapidly or quickly
perform a task. (A task that was previously a tedious manual task.)

I'll never tell the reader they will use the results of task A later
in task B.

I'll never tell the reader to make certain they have completed task A
before they do task B.

I'll never tell the reader what to do if the software calculations are
performing more slowly than the specifications.

And I'll certainly never tell the reader they should carefully insert
part A in slot A.

I'll never again use abverbs because it's not precise.

There are adverbs and then there are adverbs.

<g>

H. Jim Hager