Re: advice needed-technical editing

Subject: Re: advice needed-technical editing
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "data first" <datafirst -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:59:18 -0800

Dear 'data first'

There are always more TW than editor jobs, mainly because many companies use peer-editing or self-editing (not recomended). I've seen the salaries vary from editors getting more than writers, and vice versa. My experience(when I was hiring contract writers and editors, is that we were willing to pay more for an editor, especially at end-of-project.

As far as local jobs, try the STC bay job listings. Also check the STC home page (www.stc.org, it includes links to other bay are job listings. You don't have to be a member to use it, but I would strongly recommend joining. :

To subscribe, send an e-mail message to STCJOBSBA-L-request -at- stc-berkeley -dot- org -dot- Leave the subject line blank and turn off your automatic e-mail signature if applicable. Insert the following command in the first line of the message body:

subscribe

Best wishes,

Marc

I recently completed a certificate in technical writing and am looking for a job either as a tech writer or technical editor. I have no idea of starting salaries in the SF-Bay area for entry level tech writers or tech editors and would like to get some insight into this. Also need to find out about the availabilty of jobs in tech editing versus tech writing. From the job boards it seems like there are more listings for writers, than editors. Is there a big difference in salaries between the two? Would appreciate any info.

Thanks
Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-
Your web site in 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think.
Contact ForeignExchange for the FREE paper, "3 steps to successful
translation management" (http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw).

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net

Marc A. Santacroce

Senior Technical Writer
ePubs, Inc.

"An idiot with a computer is a better, faster idiot."