Kovitz vs Traditional

Subject: Kovitz vs Traditional
From: "Charter, Tara M." <Charter -dot- Tara -at- mayo -dot- edu>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:43:25 -0600

Kovitz (in Practical Software Requirements) states that the functional
specification is the 'what' and the design specification is the 'how'. I
believe that, traditionally, with step-by-step development, the design spec
was the 'what' and the functional spec was the 'how'.

Although I'm inclined to go Kovitz' way, I'm wondering how you have declared
the 'what' and the 'how' in your endeavors to provide useful documentation.

Thank you.