Re: "Team Player" - Please Define?

Subject: Re: "Team Player" - Please Define?
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:51:45 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote:

Seems to me you're oversimplifying some things.

> You are correct Tony. There is no such thing as a perfectly equal work
> environment. If there was such an environment, personal initiative would not be
> rewarded and therefore, nobody would ever work beyond his/her lowest
> capabilities.

This assumes reward is the motivator. Sounds to me like you've swallowed
the whole market-driven schtick. Granted initiative should be rewarded,
and any organisation that doesn't will both lose its best people and get
less than their best from the rest, your "therefore" above is still silly.

For example, I find solving certain types of problem an enjoyable challenge.
I work on them in my spare time and no doubt will after I retire. Getting
paid and recognised for such work is a nice byproduct, but has very little
to do with my motivation.

> Inequality is the natural state of all social beings, some will
> excel while others will fail. Not everybody gets to be CEO.

Not everbody wants to be CEO!

> The "team player" thing is just HR nonsense.

Precisely.

> It is like saying "detail
> oriented" like that means anything in today's world. EVERYBODY says they are
> detailed oriented.

No. I certainly wouldn't.