Re: STC SIGs - scam or resource?

Subject: Re: STC SIGs - scam or resource?
From: bbatorsk -at- admin -dot- nj -dot- devry -dot- edu
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:34:12 -0500

Dan Roberts writes:
>the I-who-subscribes-to-a-SIG is now a client of the group of folks who have
>committed their time, energy, and resources.

Reject the premise, reject the argument. I do. Organizational
responsibilities, and efforts, cannot be reduced to the client/vendor
model, for me at least. Why can't we question that model when misapplied,
call that a scam, since IMHO it is one of the oldest, snake-oil scams when
misapplied? Or, are only good deeds suspect? Remember, business
(including client/vendor based business) in the US plans, at best, only
three years ahead, often only one year ahead. What kind of a bottom line
is that even for careerists, much less for a cooperative professional
society? No. Vendor/client doesn't work for me here.

I'm afraid I haven't "been there" with STC, so I don't know, but I have
come to expect cynicism from people who say they have "been there" for any
voluntary effort, political or social. I love cynics, but I wouldn't have
them as motivational speakers for a voluntary organization, maybe for a
client/vendor scam, but not for a cooperative, professional organization.

bb