Re: irregardless IS a word!

Subject: Re: irregardless IS a word!
From: Douglas Max <dmax -at- bellatlantic -dot- net>
To: HellsAnglo -at- aol -dot- com
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 05:58:41 -0500

Rod asks if I'd use "irregardless" in a professional communication. I
wouldn't, although I may use "ain't" for effect, as in, "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it."

I might say "heck," but certainly not "hel-," "f---," "s---,"
"antidisestablishmentarianism," or any number of other words, but
regardless (see? <grin>) of what our opinions are of these words
appropriateness, they're still words.

Frankly, and I don't mean to step on too many toes too hard, I'd prefer
someone using this 'offending' word over reading that it's not a word,
forcing me to write effusive e-epistolary (two other 'words' probably
best not used either!) defending the rights of those who use a
non-standard word.

Back to the weekend for me!

Cordially,

Doug

--
Douglas M. Max
Managing Director LR Communication Systems, Inc.

Improving business communications worldwide since 1969.
Internet-based and on-site instruction with personal feedback.

Don't send that document out before viewing our helpful writing tips!
Free at our site: http://LRcom.com

mailto:DMax -at- LRcom -dot- com (908) 464-1231 fax (908) 464-1350
139 Dogwood Lane * Berkeley Heights, NJ * 07922 * USA