Need a wordprocessing tool!

Subject: Need a wordprocessing tool!
From: Geoff hart <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:00:54 -0500

Hans Durstling has come upon an <<opportune occasion... to venture into the
age of enlightenment by upgrading to a program which will do tables and flow
charts; which also is flexible, capable, long lasting and whose finished
documents can be saved and transmitted by email in the most universally
useful way possible.>>

Much though I resist the temptation, I'd still have to recommend Microsoft
Word. Sure, the program is about as pleasant to live with as a skunk some
days, but to give the devil it's due, it's an awfully nice writing tool, you
can exchange files with darn near anyone, and there's a huge community of
people (e.g., here on techwr-l) who can make the program get up and dance...
or at least get it back on its feet after it falls flat on its face. You're
using a PowerMac 7200 according to your post, so Word98 should work just
fine (and the low-cost "special iMac edition" works just fine on other
PowerMacs too); you'll want to give it at least 20 Meg of memory for
adequate performance, but memory's relatively cheap.

I wouldn't use it to produce flowcharts, though. Word does have decent
graphics capabilities (***for a word processor***), but using it for
flowcharts is like using a steak knife to turn screws: sure, you could do
it, but... <g> Buy any decent graphics software (does Visio still have a Mac
version?) and you'll be much further along the road to being an efficient
graphics producer.

--Geoff Hart, Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"The paperless office will arrive when the paperless toilet
arrives."--Matthew Stevens