Re: User Guide Question

Subject: Re: User Guide Question
From: Jill Shindelman <jill_shindelman -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:45:34 -0800 (PST)

--- Joanne Meehl <Jmeehl -at- datum -dot- com> wrote:
> A question from this newbie: Where, in an A-to-Z
> user guide, would an entry
> for .cpk go? Or any "dot" entries, for that
> matter?
Joanne,

I think you are asking how to decide where to place
index entries that begin with something other than an
alphabetic character. The usual method is to use the
ASCII collating sequence, in which every printable
character has a numeric equivalent in ASCII code. In
ASCII, numbers come before uppercase alphabetics, and
uppercase alphabetics come before lowercase
alphabetics. Special characters are scattered
throughout, but usually appear at the beginning of
index entries, before numbers or letters.

For a table showing the ASCII collating sequence, see,
for example, www.bbsinc.com/symbol.html.

Jill Shindelman

http://im.yahoo.com