Word Usage

Subject: Word Usage
From: "Kathi Jan Knill" <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- template -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:14:53 -0500

A question regarding selection of a Tech Writing school was posed to the
list. In his
response to this question Tony Markatos responds:

.. irregardless of the delivery vehicle). ...

It may sound nit-picky, but "irregardless" is not a word. The correct word
is
regardless. I have heard the word irregardless used many times and it always
sets my teeth on edge. The word regardless means "without regard to...,"
therefore, logic dictates that irregardless is a double negative.

This is not a flame and please don't flame me for pointing it out. It is
just one
of those things that always bothered me.

Kathi Jan Knill
Sr. Technical Writer
Level 8 Systems
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Level8 -dot- com