RE: ADMIN: Re: OT How do I unsubscribe?.. reading directions

From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- email -dot- msn -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:34:48 -0500

Chuck:

Don't knock it. I made a fortune last year plastering over design flaws with
documentation. I usually charge between $500 and $750 for writing a "Pull"
sign. It's great.

Bear

++++++++++

But it's not incompetence, at least not by users. That the door needed a
label probably means that it was designed so as to look like it should be
pushed.

A bar all the way across a door generally communicates something that is to
be pushed. When that's not the case, instead of re-designing the door, most
times a label is added: Pull.

When users approach the door, they do so without conscious thought. They see
the bar and recognize from its appearance what to do. Or so they think. They
are then surprised when pushing does not result in what they expect. That's
not incompetence in users, that's incompetence in design.

--
Chuck Martin
Sr. Technical Writer, SERENA Software