Re: ForeHelp v. RoboHelp for "Single Source"

Subject: Re: ForeHelp v. RoboHelp for "Single Source"
From: "Michele Marques" <mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:58:30 -0500

"Amy Janczy" <Amy_Janczy -at- uclid -dot- com> asked for a comparison
on ForeHelp vs RoboHelp for Single Sourcing OnLine and printed
documentation.

I haven't used both, but I have developed help in ForeHelp and
"created the manual" (RTF) with it, which I then imported into
FrameMaker. It wasn't great, but it wasn't completely horrible.

ForeHelp seems best for single-sourcing multiple forms of OnLine
help (e.g., Win '95/ HTML pages, or for related products, etc.). It
does allow you to mark help topics, and any selection of
information with one or more conditions, then build help (or the
manual) that includes all conditions that you select. I believe that
you can also define the order of topics for the manual, separately
from the order of topics in your help "contents" and help file.

I believe that the manual would still need some tweaking, but if you
imported it into FrameMaker, you might be able to import formats
to handle things automatically.

Note that ForeHelp 2000 is supposed to be able to import MIF files -
if you work with FrameMaker, you might want to ask if it can
export MIF files, as well.

It is also possible to develop documents in either Word or
FrameMaker to import into ForeHelp. Whether you choose to
develop in Word/FM or ForeHelp would depend on your working
style, as well as which was more important (or less standard).

Michele Marques
Lead Technical Communicator, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280