Re: Do you give permission to use your materials?

Subject: Re: Do you give permission to use your materials?
From: Kimberly <JKWilson -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:00:17 -0500

I am jobhunting in the contract market right now. I recently was asked by a
recruiter (who I had never met in person) to send samples of my work to her
and the client. The client is screening candidates by the samples. I felt
very uncomfortable with this and refused to do it. My samples belong to my
previous employers and I agreed to only show--not distribute--them.

I thought it very odd indeed that a recruiter and client would insist on
this. I thought this ethic (show but don't share) was pretty widely known
in the IT market.

As an aside, I don't have writing samples that are NOT from my previous
employers, other than a few newsletter articles and such that I don't think
are great examples of my *technical* writing skills. Any suggestions? I
have always relied on showing my work portfolio during a f2f interview.

Kimberly in Atlanta

At 09:40 AM 1/26/00 -0600, you wrote:
>As a consultant myself, I have to echo what Michelle wrote. My portfolio
materials are mine to use in my portfolio because the clients have given me
permission to use them. I do not own them, have no right to distribute them.
>Consequently, I guard them jealously.
>
>This is an area where there is so much gray we must tread lightly, take
the highest, most ethical ground possible, I think. At least, that's the
rule I follow, and it actually makes my life a lot easier. So many
difficult decisions
>I don't have to consider as a result.
>
>Jo Byrd
>

>Michelle Wolfe wrote:
>
>> Megan wrote:
>>
>> <<Do any techwhirlers give permission to others to use what they've
written? Does anyone see any really big pitfalls to this "open" approach
where I make my document source available to others to mold for their own
uses?>>

>> I don't know about other consultants, but I never "own" what I write.
The copyright belongs to whoever pays my invoices. If they choose to
release the copyright to someone else, it is their call. I have no say in
it whatsoever.