Forced to read the manual/re: FrameMaker

Subject: Forced to read the manual/re: FrameMaker
From: "Beth Kane" <bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:27:01 -0700

This thread, which started from someone's request for instructions to
unsubscribe, has evolved enough that I think I can now fit in something I've
been wanting to say.

I love FrameMaker -- I've been using it for years and I think it's the
greatest. But sometimes I need a little help figuring out how to do
something, or remembering how to use a feature I rarely employ. Now, I'm the
type of computer user who likes online help. To me it's the fastest way to
an answer -- a matter of a few clicks. I type a keyword in the index and I'm
on my way.

<rant> HOWEVER, Frame has the SORRIEST online help system I have ever seen
in my LIFE! It's totally non-standard, incomplete, horrible in every way.
Sometimes it defines stuff but doesn't tell you where in the interface to
find it (so maddening)! Some of the menu options are not even mentioned in
the system. For a product this sophisticated, which is meant to be used by
tech writers, how could this happen? I'd rather not have to use the manual,
but I'm forced to. The manual is not super-well-indexed, either, but it has
improved a great deal over the years. </rant>

I keep hoping, with every new release, a complete and usable help system
will be included. Maybe THIS year it will happen... ;-)
Does anyone know if such plans are in the works?
They could hire most any one of us to create it pretty quickly...

Beth Kane
Senior Technical Writer
Total Control Information Inc.
bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com