Re: ADMIN: Re: OT How do I unsubscribe?

From: iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk (Iain Harrison)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:33 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> If I wanted to unsubscribe, I'd mail techwr-l-request -at- raycomm -dot- com
> the one-line message "unsubscribe". To unsubscribe from techcomm,
> I'd mail techcomm-request.
>
> I'd be quite upset if those didn't work.

That's a spectacularly silly way to approach it! What's wrong with
following the simple instruction in the footer?

> This has been an oral tradition standard since before I started
> using mailing lists, i.e. at least 15 years.

Well, I'd expect a command to listserve@ to be the standard, not
listname-request -at- -dot-

Techcomm is hosted for free, so we can't tell the host to amend his
(perfectly adequate) mailing list server. I think it is a standard NT
mail server, but I'm not sure.

As you point out, the RFC you refer to is not agreed (I personally hope
it never is) so it has no import.

I wonder if there ought to be a sort of puzzle to test people before they
join a list? Maybe if it were 10 times as difficult to join as it is to
leave, the problem would be minimised...

--

Iain

iain -at- hairydog -dot- co -dot- uk
iainh -at- cix -dot- co -dot- uk