RE: Is your documentation copyrighted?

Subject: RE: Is your documentation copyrighted?
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: Brent L Jones <brent -dot- jones -at- jadesolutions -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 07:18:28 -0500

At 02:21 PM 1/25/00 -0700, Brent L Jones wrote:

<SNIP>

>I've never worked for a company that registered its copyrights for software
>documentation, although I'm sure that they exist (companies that sell
>popular desktop software, such as Microsoft, for example). Most companies
>don't. I think the vast majority of user guides, etc. aren't worth the time
>and minimal expense it would take to register them, as they are so specific
>to one company's product. Who would want to rip it off, and for what
>purpose? And if they do, how would you ever know and what would the damages
>be?

One of my clients, a process control engineering firm, registered the
manual for a new product they had just spent years developing. Here's why:
when the product first went to market, there were NO other products that
did the same thing.

And guess what? They ended up going to court on a copyright infringement
lawsuit, and they won. Seems their client had left a manual sitting out
where it shouldn't have been, and a competitor managed to get hold of it.
A little reverse engineering, and voila! a competing product hit the market.

My client took 'em to court, and won. I don't know what the damages were
(this was before they were my client), but I would bet the amount was
significant. I do know that the competing process control engineering firm
no longer has a Canadian subsidiary.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer