Publishing tool for Linux environment needed

Subject: Publishing tool for Linux environment needed
From: reni -at- intellitel -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 5:2:56

Hi,

I am working for a software company. Our main product consist of several
smaller parts. Also the documentation is written in smaller parts,
(different program parts in different locations) and finally all of them
are gathered together to produce final documents.

Our need now is to find tools to make this procedure more automated. At the
moment it still needs quite a lot of work to combine all the smaller parts
of the documentation to four big manuals. Gathering of smaller pieces is
automated, but combining them is still a big task.

Since our company uses mostly Linux and other Unix machines we are
currently looking a documenation software in these environments (Word
processing and Desktop publishing). I also heard that FrameMaker
beta-version exist for Linux (I haven't yet tested it).

Does Framemaker has the capability to somehow automate the task with
scripts, eg. when we deliver parts a,b,c and e (but not part d) to customer
we also want to leave part d out from documentation since the customer
doesn't need it.

And other question conserning Framemaker. Does it work well with corel
wordperfect, microsoft word and staroffice ?

--
Reni