RE: Soliciting writing appliance recommendations

Subject: RE: Soliciting writing appliance recommendations
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "'Nancy E. Kaminski'" <nancykam -at- mediaone -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:54:26 -0500

On Wednesday, January 19, 2000 3:06 PM, Nancy E. Kaminski
[SMTP:nancykam -at- mediaone -dot- net] wrote:
> > Mark is looking for *a "palm-top" with a large enough keyboard to
> > type on comfortably? It wouldn't even have to have a hard
> > drive--just enough flash memory to hold a couple of hundred pages, and
> USB
> > or other connection to download it to my desktop. It'd also be nice
> > if it had a 25-line by 80-column screen, and ran on AA batteries.*
>
> I have an NEC MobilePro 770 which fits the bill perfectly. It has a
keyboard
> big enough to touch-type on, a color 640 x 240 dpi screen, 32 MB of RAM,
and
> accomodates flash cards for extra memory. It runs Windows 95 CE, and
syncs
> into my PC's Windows Outlook. It weighs 1.7 lbs. and is 9.6 x 5.2 x 1.1
> inches. It runs off of Li-Ion batteries or an AC adapter -- the batteries
> will run for about 8 hours.
>
> I love mine -- I use it for my schedules, address book, and to take
notes
> at meetings. It's no more trouble to carry than a Franklin planner, and
I've
> found it has a very high geek appeal -- something that counts when you
need
> those techies to fix your PC at work! <g>

I'm using an HP Jornada 820. It has a larger screen (almost double I think)
than what Nancy is using, weighs slightly more and gets about 10 hours on a
charge. Although it has less memory (16MB), it will easily hold several
hundred pages of PocketWord documents. Selling price is $800 USD.

I love it for the portability and have no trouble touch-typing with it. And
yes, I have abandoned my planner.

One recommendation. Buy an extra Synch cord. You could easily get by
charging it either at home or at work, but it would be nice not to have to
climb under the desk to connect and disconnect the Synch cord all the time.

Tom Johnson
Marketing Coordinator/Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering Div., Star Cutter Company

johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com - work
thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net - persona