Re: Task-oriented manuals

Subject: Re: Task-oriented manuals
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com>
To: Tara Bucheger <TBucheger -at- Winnebago -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:43:32 -0800

At 03:05 PM 1/19/00 -0600, Tara Bucheger wrote:

>... Basically, I want to know what kind of topics,
>such as task-oriented topics or reference topics, etc., users prefer when
>using online Help. I haven't really found much. Any sites I can visit for
>more on this?

Jared Spool's group, User Interface Engineering, did a lot of
usability studies on online help before they switched focus to
the web. You can still find some of their research at their
web site. Specifically, check out this article:

http://world.std.com/~uieweb/online.htm

then browse the site for lots more good info.

HTH!

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com http://www.vertel.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams