Re: Frame to HTML: Way to preserve tabs?

Subject: Re: Frame to HTML: Way to preserve tabs?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com>
To: Carolyn Yount <carolyn -at- tellme -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:36:30 -0800

Carolyn Yount wrote:

>I've written a reference guide in FrameMaker that I then saved as HTML...
>The only problem is preserving tabs that I've used in code
>samples.

The problem isn't specific to Frame, it's an HTML thing. I convert
from Word to HTML and had to resolve the same problem.

To prepare code examples before converting to HTML, replace all tabs
with spaces *and* replace all hard returns with soft returns or newline
characters. On Windows platforms, the keystroke is shift+enter -- and
yes, this works just as well in Frame as it does in Word. (I've made a
macro for this 'cause I use it all the time!)

Once you've prepared the text as a single paragraph, you can use <pre>
tags and achieve the desired results without double spacing.

HTH!

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com http://www.vertel.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams