Opening MS Office files directly in Office App on intranet using Microsoft IIS

Subject: Opening MS Office files directly in Office App on intranet using Microsoft IIS
From: "David Slonosky" <David_Slonosky -at- i2 -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:51:58 -0500

Hi. A user here has asked that I create links to MS Office files that can be
opened directly in the corresponding MS Office application.

I can't see a way to do this without having an FTP server running and using the
ftp: URL in the appropriate anchor tag. Using the http:// URL opens the file in
the browser, as does using the file:// URL.

Do we need to install a dedicated FTP server, or is there some clever way to use
JavaScript to allow users to click on a link and open the file in the
application?

Thanks,

David