RE: Typeface Research

Subject: RE: Typeface Research
From: "Katherine Enos (Macrosearch Inc)" <a-kateno -at- Exchange -dot- Microsoft -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:09:24 -0800

Karen Shriver's book, "Dynamics in Document Design," has a useful section in
Appendix C that covers the design on online displays. This section includes
discussion of typeface choices (for example, serif versus san serif fonts
for online display) and cites some studies. There's also mention of a few
typefaces specially designed for legibility.

There are many books that focus about the design goals of various typefaces
used in print. Books by Edward Tufte are great to use to learn more about
document and UI design. Erik Spiekermann's book, "Stop Stealing Sheep & Find
Out How Type Works," is a good basic read on using type.

I'm guessing that your concern is readability and usability, but it's not
altogether clear to me since you're asking about the "effects" of typefaces.

Katherine Enos
Microsoft Platform SDK