Re: Preliminary results - Survey of writers in small and startup software companies

Subject: Re: Preliminary results - Survey of writers in small and startup software companies
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:07:44 -0600

To join the fray: I started a contract for a small startup company to do their
documentation. A year later they're replacing me with a permanent writer because
they've realized documentation needs to be an ongoing activity. As to whether
it's considered important....one of the factors that influenced their CEO to
accept the position was not just the quality of the existing documentation, but
the company's dedication to HAVING proper documentation.

We do make a difference in the world

Just my opinion (and note, humble is NOT in there!)

Jo Byrd

> Andrew Plato wrote:
>
> This survey is fundamentally flawed because it only asked the opinions of
> other tech writers. OF COURSE writers are going to think their role in a
> small company is important.

To which Michael Collier replied: