RE: online documentation for web application

Subject: RE: online documentation for web application
From: "John Locke" <john -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:42:40 -0800

I agree with David that HomeSite is an excellent tool for writing HTML text.
However, I tend to start in Word, simply so that I don't have to see the
tags until the text is mostly finished. Then, I drop the text into HomeSite
to mark it up.

I just found a utility to export clean HTML from Word 2000, without all of
Microsoft's proprietary XML markup, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
It will export a CSS and mark text up with styles. You can get it free at
Microsoft's Office Update site (you need to be a registered user of Office),
at http://officeupdate.microsoft.com.

Cheers,
John
http://www.freelock.com

Kaya Balke wrote:

> I need to create online documentation for a web application...
>
> I'm wondering if I can write documentation directly in an HTML
> text editor, such as HomeSite... Any problems with using HomeSite
> to create user docs that I should be aware of?

David Brown wrote:
I use HomeSite exclusively to develop user documentation for web-based
applications (both Java and ASP). HomeSite is an *excellent* choice if you
are at all comfortable with HTML code.