Re: E-books: an example

Subject: Re: E-books: an example
From: "Joe" <jsokohl -at- eudoramail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:09:57 -0800

here's an example of electronic delivery of books for a fee...and a fairly flexible delivery method (Word and PDF). Sadly, it's currently only Wintel-enabled, but their site promises Macintosh & Linux compatiblity soon.

http://www.fatbrain.com/ematter/home.html

This reminds me of a discussion at my previous company. The company publishes commercially available versions of internal studies (generally referred to as "red books") on how to implement various software in various situations. Anyway, one of the questions was how to deliver documentation that people could pay for and receive over the Web...andytime, anywhere. Interesting concept....

The best realization of e_books, in my mind, was/is the Newton Books format. Sadly, it was only available for the newton OS (great OS!) and, as we know, that OS is no longer being developed and devices are no longer being made. Still, when I read about vaporware like Microsoft Reader, I am fondly reminded of what once was.....

joe
---
Our fears are like dragons, guarding our most precious treasures.
___Rainer Marie Rilke