Re: E-books and traditional books

Subject: Re: E-books and traditional books
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:06:41 -0500

Marilynne Smith wrote:

> Why go to a bookstore? Why not select the book from an online bookstore,
then
> either print it on your computer or have them send it to you? They can
bill a
> credit card.

Because printing it on your own computer limits you to the printing and
binding capabilities of you desktop printer. The bookstore can have a
high-quality high-speed printing and binding machine.

Because I don't want to wait for the book to be delivered.

Because the bookstore model allows for an effective and enforceable
licensing arrangement between the publisher and the bookstore. Direct
personal download has a huge potential for piracy.

Because it is expensive to warehouse and ship books, even with massive
centralization and integration of the warehousing system. It costs almost
nothing to warehouse and deliver an electronic file.

With electronic warehousing and delivery, nothing should ever go out of
print. The cost of maintaining the availability of a title is virtually
nothing. Costs are incurred only when revenue is generated: when the book is
printed on demand and sold.

Because the cost of self publishing drops dramatically, and the bookstore no
longer has a reason to shun self-published books or books from small
presses. They incur no carrying charges for unpopular items.

---
Mark Baker
Senior Technical Communicator
OmniMark Technologies Corporation