Re: New Hires

Subject: Re: New Hires
From: "RS" <ursa -at- interlog -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:34:39 -0500

Thank you. As someone who is just entering the technical writing field, I
was a bit intimidated by the ever-growing list of requirements and was
starting to wonder if I'd made the right decision after all...
######################
Rhonda Sussman
ursa -at- interlog -dot- com
ICQ 47788234

> A good working knowledge is more than adequate for Microsoft Office.
Indeed a
> good working knowledge in as many products as you can get your hands on
improves
> your marketability. I would argue that powerpoint, access, and excel are
less
> than important. Powerpoint can be picked up by anyone in an afternoon and
unless
> you are doing database or spreadsheet design access and excel aren't
necessarily
> needed. Mastery of these programs is needed by only a few.
> Also, while many use word, many do not. I've been Techwriting 5 years and
have
> used Word less than a dozen times for nothing more than memos.

> "I hope I haven't turned your four-year undergrad program into a six-year
> masters degree."
>
> You've turned it into an eight year doctorate with 10 years job experience
I'm